Ceiling fans circulate air around an area to keep it comfortable, saving on your energy bill. They can be stylish and add a touch of charm to any room. Whether you are replacing a current ceiling fan or choosing one for a new room, consider these tips to help you pick the right one.
- The recommended fan width is based on the length of the longest wall in the room:
- If the length is less than 12’, the fan should be ≤ 36"
- If the length is 12 to 15’, the fan should be 40 to 48”
- If the length is more than 15’, the fan should be ≥ 52”
- The height of a ceiling fan should be around 8’ from the floor to the blades. Consider a downrod for high ceilings.
- In a room with 8-foot ceilings, the bottom of the fixture should be approximately 33” above the surface of the table: add 3 inches for every foot above 8ft.
- Hang the fan in the middle of the room and allow at least 18” between the end of the blades and the walls.
Tip: For very large great rooms with high ceilings, consider hanging two ceiling fans rather than just one.